Friday, November 13, 2009
Our wild week
This has been quite the crazy week for us full of unexpected things. This will probably be a bit of a long post because I am using this to journal what happened. On Sunday we had stake conference. We went and had the privilege of sitting on those hard metal chairs that we all just love. I had been getting pretty uncomfortable lately being pregnant and sitting on those chairs just about did me in. I found myself leaning from side to side and Chad had to massage my back. Even though the speakers were great I had a rough time being there because I was so uncomfortable. Monday morning came and I woke up and I was bleeding. I felt fine and so I went to work and went about my usual morning routine. By 10am I was having lots of low back pain and pelvic pressure and I could barely walk. I finally decided to give in and call my doctor to see what they recommended. They told me to go home, lay down, and drink some water. I left work and told my supervisor what was happening and I told her I'd probably be back in a couple hours. By the time I walked out to my car I was in quite a bit of pain. I called Chad and told him what was going on and since his afternoon class was cancelled he came home with me. After 2 hours of being at home laying down the pain didn't stop. I was content to wait it out another hour since I was convinced it would just go away, but luckily Chad forced me to go. We went to the doctor's office and they hooked me up to a machine to monitor my contractions. I was having contractions about every 4 minutes and I was dilated and effaced to about 70%. They gave me a shot of terbutaline to stop my contractions. -That stuff is crazy! It makes your heart race and makes you super jittery. It's probably like drinking 30 cups of coffee right in a row. I was shaking like crazy. After they checked me they told me that they were going to admit me to the hospital. So much for going back to work huh. We went to the hospital and after being monitored and checked again they put me into a delivery room. They had me all hooked up to an IV and monitors and keep giving me the terbutaline to stop labor. My contractions would slow down for a little bit after the shot of terbutaline, but then they would go right back to where they were before and so they made me stay overnight. That first night I slept in a labor and deliver bed, which is completely uncomfortable and obviously not meant for a long term stay. Luckily the next day they switched it out for a real hospital bed and that was much better. The next morning they decided to do an ultrasound to check on the baby to make sure everything was ok since I was still bleeding and contracting. The baby was sitting extremely low..hence the intense pelvic pressure. The ultrasound didn't show any problems with me or the baby, however, the baby only measured 5lbs 7oz. Just a small little guy. After getting the results of the ultrasounds the doctors decided that I would stay overnight and then on Wednesday they would stop the terbutaline and see if I went into labor or not since I would officially be 36 weeks. I tried to mentally prepare myself that night for what that next day could bring but there was guarantee what would actually happen. Wednesday came and I was allowed to shower and walk around and be off terbutaline finally (after about 7 or 8 doses of that nasty stuff). It felt so great to be able to get out of my hospital room finally! I walked around quite a bit the whole day and that night they came and checked me again and nothing had happened. In fact the contractions completely stopped all together! I was blown away that now that I was finally off that medicine everything was actually stopping now that they were ok with me going into labor. Talk about emotional ups and downs. My sweet mom flew in on Wednesday night to be with us and help Chad take care of me so he could focus on school. Chad was such a trooper this whole week and spent most of his time in the hospital with me and supporting me through everything. Finally on Thursday morning I was able to see my actual doctor (he was out of town earlier in the week). He checked me and said I was only dilated to a 2. Which throughout this whole process I'd been told different things every time because I had been checked by so many different people. One doctor told me I was at a 4, so being told I was only at a 2 was a bit of a shock. Since I wasn't progressing he said I could go home finally. Wahoo! Freedom at last! He told me I could go home and listen to my body and whenever this baby decides to come he will come. So for now I've been at home relaxing and taking it easy while my wonderful mother takes care of me. She's the best! I have another doctor's appointment today so I guess we'll find out if anything else has changed or if our little man decided he wants to stay inside of me and cook a little longer. Thanks to all of you for your many prayers in our behalf and for all your love and support.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I'm so glad everything turned out okay!
I am SO glad your mom is there to be with you - scary stuff, but I am glad you are home! Good luck these next few weeks....
That terbutaline is horrible stuff...I had it on five different occassions during my pregnancy with Kes. I could never do the coffee thing. Good luck with everything!!!
Ahhh Miche! Hope everything gets back to "normal". Whatever normal is when you're eight months pregnant. Love you lots and tell that cute little guy he is just going to have to be a little bit more patient before he can see his amazing mother.
Yea for Moms! I am so glad yours could be with you and I'm glad your little man decided to stay in and "cook" for at least a little while longer. Sounds like your doc is a smart one telling you to listen to your body. We'll keep you and the little one in our prayers. Love you!
Don't they have you on Bed Rest?
W're glad you were able to go home. I slept on the labor and delivery bed for 2 weeks and couldn't get up to even go to the bathroom! You got lucky they switched you. :) Just remember to try and take it easy for now and we'll keep you guys in our prayers! Can't wait to see pics of this little guy!!!
Oh Michelle! How scary! I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that...it does not sound fun! Good luck taking it easy. We are excited to see pictures when the little man does make his debut!
I am so glad that you are okay and the baby is okay. I always wished for early labor, but now I am glad that I never had that. Good luck the next four weeks!
Post a Comment