Tuesday, March 24, 2009

So you had a bad day...

Yesterday was a bit of a rough day for me. It was one of those days where I think I've lost my mind completely. I'm not sure why exactly, but the day started out rough from the get go. It seemed to be one of those days where I say the dumbest things or do things like I have checked out completely. I'll spare you the details of most of the day, but I thought I would share just one of the examples from my "mindless day." Chad has been desperately in need of a hair cut. Apparently his barber (me) has been slacking off and not doing her job. So last night I told him I would cut his hair and make him look all spiffy for his job interview tomorrow. I'm new to the hair cutting thing and I am by no means an expert. Every time I get nervous before I start that I am going to screw his hair up big time, but every time it has turned out pretty good...that is until last night. I got the bathroom all ready, the clippers all set, and put Chad in his cape and we were ready to go. I checked to see if I had the right level on and I did and away I went. Right down the middle of his head! Usually I start on the side with that level and for some reason I just went for the middle! I'm losing it I swear! Right after I made that cut I said "Wow! Your hair was REALLY long this time!" Hello! It was long, but usually I do a 1" on top instead of a 3/8 "! No wonder! Unfortunatly Chad was on the receiving end of my mindlessness. Here is a picture right after I made my stripe down the middle of poor Chad's head.

He thought this was hilarious! What a good sport he is! Still smiles and all!

It wasn't a pretty sight. Bad, bad.
Luckily Chad is a sweetheart and forgave me. We ended up pretty much just buzzing his head. It is now really, really short. The rest of the time while I was cutting his hair he was cracking jokes about his hair and what happened. He managed to make me laugh instead of cry. Thank goodness! What a guy! He still looks handsome as ever though I promise! According to Chad today it's drawn some attention to him at school. I'm sure everyone at the law school has heard about his crazy wife by now so I figured I might as well post about it. I'll post some pictures soon with the end results.

Another thing that happened was a little crazy for me. I'm sitting at my desk at work looking at the clock wondering if 5 o'clock is ever going to come when all aof the sudden I hear the tornado sirens started going off. I sat there frozen at my desk wondering what in the world is going on and what to do. Students and faculty members started coming up to me asking me what do do. Since I'm not from the midwest I had no clue! I'm probably the worst person to ask! Now if this were an earthquake I'd for sure know what to do and jump under my desk or the nearest doorway. Guess that comes from being raised in Utah and doing earthquake drills in school all the time. Tornados are a whole new thing for me and frankly ever since I read the book Night of the Twisters and saw the movie Twister I am a little freaked out by them. I sat at my desk wondering if the business building that I work in was going to be picked up like in The Wizard of Oz and fly around in the air. I can just picture the Wicked Witch going by my window on a bicycle cackeling. I know my imagination was getting carried away, but I'd never experienced a tornado warning before and I was a little scared. Apparently tornado season has started early here. I read in the newspaper that one family saw their swing set go flying by and they lost their shed...it was gone! Am I the only one that gets freaked out by those kinds of things? Luckily the sirens eventually stopped and the storms over our part of Lincoln and we were able to make it home safely. Hopefully I will get more accustomed to living in the Midwest and not be so scared of tornados since we'll be here for the next three years.

I just thought this was a cute picture of us that we took a few days ago.

15 comments:

Aria said...

I'm sorry you had such a bad day! The good thing about hair is that it will grow and sounds like your husband is such a good sport! Tornadoes are definitely scary displays of nature. You'll get accustomed to all the mid-west stuff soon!! :)

Courtney said...

Sorry about your bad day. The haircut story is pretty funny though. I too started cutting my husbands hair and he has had the buzz cut look once or twice. Every time I know it's time to cut his hair I delay it as much as I can.

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

OH - Chad is a REALLY nice husband! And you are equally nice to actually cut his hair. Spence won't let me touch his hair (Brent must have said something about the time I totaly butched his:) and I won't touch it - just the neck shave - Hope you have a better day today!!!

the Tonioli's said...

Oh, sweetie I'm so sorry about your bad day. At least everything turned out not to be so bad in the end. Good luck!!

Michelle said...

ah your first tornado siren. I remember mine. It is kind of an interesting experience. I don't know how many tornados Nebraska gets, but Oklahoma gets them all the time. Basically you just get as close to or below ground level as you can. Tubs are great and always stay away from windows. I've gotten to the point where tornado sirens don't really phase me anymore. Sad huh?

i think you are a darling wife!

Anna said...

I too can relate to the hair cut, as can any wife who cuts her husband's or son's hair I'm sure. I just say good for you learning and doing it. I agree with Michelle - you are a darling wife!

Carrie said...

We've had that haircut experience too...and after a few other interesting haircutting experiences, we now think it is worth it for Darrin to pay to get his haircut. :)

Crazy tornadoes the other day--I think that is what brought on the contractions...I'm hoping for more wild weather to send me into full on labor now!

Todd and Melissa said...

Don't worry! I cut Todd's hair too, some are good, some aren't. He knows I'm not pro and has always been a good sport. We must be lucky girls! :)

Oh, and scary about the tornadoes!!!

Marcie said...

I can't tell you how many BAD haircuts I gave Sean while I was in Beauty school. Luckly you are newlyweds and everything you do is still cute in Chads eyes, even bad haircuts! If you have any questions about how to deal with Tornado's you should call Tami. I think she is finally getting used to the warning after 4 years. That would be way scary.

Mitchell Family said...

wee mich, i do cut hair and i too did this to jeremy when we lived in the toaster. only jeremy was actually mad and i did cry. soooo funny. you've got a good husband! love ya, have a better day!

Zeb, Hilary, & Camden said...

Michelle.... so fun to see what you and Chad are up to. Your mom told me you have a blog and I got so excited, I love people who blog! I guess it's just a fun way to keep in contact with people when you move to another state (you know what I mean being so far away and all). You are such a cute wife! I have cut Zeb's hair for the last couple of years and no longer get nervous but I know how you feel. Luckily your husband is a good sport and was able to laugh it off. Hope everything is going well for you!

lisa said...

I do have to say that I think ALL OF US have done this to our husbands one time or another. Where is the updated pic of the new Chadley?

Jana said...

Michelle, you are the shizzle for cutting his hair in the first place. I refuse to even try. You're such a good wifie

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

That is way too funny! I just blew water out of my nose from laughing when I read that. Thanks, I needed that. You're way too cute, Michelle... way too cute.